1. Improves flexibility - Tight joints lead to improper alignment of your spine, which results in pain. Additionally, poor flexibility in the muscles and tissues leads to bad posture, which also causes pain and discomfort.
2. Increases muscle strength - Having strong muscles protects you from conditions like back pain and arthritis, while also helping to prevent falls in the elderly. Yoga strengthens your muscles without the stress of weight lifting.
3. Helps protect your spine - Your spinal discs receive nutrients through movement. Yoga provides this needed movement, thus protecting your spine by keeping your spinal discs healthy.
4. Improves bone health - It’s common knowledge that weight-bearing exercises strengthen bones and prevent osteoporosis. Yoga does this by requiring you to lift your own body weight.
5. Boosts immunity - Contracting and stretching muscles, as done in yoga, increases drainage of lymph, which helps your lymphatic system fight infection and rid toxic waste.
6. Lowers blood pressure - It may surprise you, but a study published in a British medical journal showed that certain yoga poses actually lowered blood pressure levels in participants.
7. Decreases blood sugar - Through weight loss and lower cortisol and adrenal levels, yoga lowers blood sugar in people with diabetes.
8. Improves balance - Poor posture and balance can lead to back pain, hip trouble, and falls. Regularly practicing yoga increases proprioception, which is the ability of your body to feel what it’s doing.
9. Aids deep sleep - Studies have shown that regular yoga improves participants’ sleep, which leads to fewer accidents and a more relaxed and happy disposition.
10. Prevents digestive problems - Yoga eases constipation, thus helping lower your risk of colon cancer. It also helps ease irritable bowel syndrome and ulcers through stress management.
These are just a few of the many health benefits of the practice of yoga. To see for yourself how yoga can benefit your body, try Flow Yoga at Downtown Athletic Club in Amarillo.