The Differences Between a Health Club and Gym
Let's look at 7 ways a health and athletic club differs from your neighborhood gym:
- Personal training on a variety of topics - Most personal trainers concentrate on helping clients get an exercise routine established. Personal trainers at an athletic or health club do this and much more, like what works best for weight loss, how to improve skills in certain sports, and how to decrease pain.
- Multiple group fitness options - Most gyms offer a couple of group classes like yoga or Zumba. An athletic or health club goes the extra step of offering many classes scheduled throughout the day. That makes it easy to catch a class when it's convenient for you, whether you’re in the mood for a relaxing session or yoga or an invigorating cycling class.
- Complimentary workout clothing - When you go to your average neighborhood gym, you need to take your clothing and workout gear with you. That means dragging along a gym bag with you from work or home. What if you only had to remember your gym shoes? That is what you get at an exclusive athletic club: shirts, shorts, socks, and workout towels.
- A café for food and drink - When you are done with your workout, the first thing many do is run to a nearby café or restaurant for a bite and something to drink. At an athletic club, that is not a problem. The café is on the premises and it offers a variety of nutritional snacks and drinks.
- Massage therapy - Sore muscles after a workout are prime territory for a massage therapist. A 15-minute chair massage or a 60-minute full massage will diminish any stress you might have quickly and effectively. You typically won’t find a certified massage therapist at your everyday gym.
- Locker room amenities - Do you ever forget your personal grooming products, like deodorant, body wash or shampoo and conditioner when going to the gym? If you work out in the mornings, getting showered and ready for work is much easier in a fully stocked locker room.
- Non-intimidating atmosphere - One of the downsides of some neighborhood gyms is a certain attitude that overweight people or those out of shape should not be among the "pretty people." It can be pretty daunting for someone to walk into a gym full of muscular, fit folks. An athletic club does just the opposite. An athletic and health club is here to promote fitness and wellness as a whole. An athletic club welcomes people of all shapes and sizes.
As you can see, there are certain perks that make working out at a health or athletic club a better option than going to your neighborhood gym. However, that decision is ultimately up to you, your budget and your fitness and health goals.
If you are looking for a health club conveniently located in downtown Amarillo, come in to the Downtown Athletic Club. As the only Amarillo health and athletic club, the Downtown Athletic Club offers an array of amenities for our members. We are a fully equipped fitness and health club on the fourth floor of the Maxor Building. Unlike many Amarillo gyms, we offer state of the art cardio equipment along with free weights, group fitness, professional personal trainers, massage and much more. Cafe DAC serves healthy, yet filling, tasty food, too. We are open seven days a week with hours convenient for your workout needs. Call us today to schedule a tour of our premier facility.