That doesn't mean you have to go completely off track, however. As busy as you might be, you can still find ways to fit fitness into your holiday gatherings that involve your entire family.
A great way to get your family involved with fitness during the holidays is to supercharge those family outings.
- Turn your holiday shopping excursions into an opportunity to log some walking miles. Make a map of stores you want to visit at the mall and follow a route that makes you walk the greatest distance.
- Find a 5K run that your entire family can take part in. There's no shortage of holiday-themed events, such as a Reindeer Run. You can all enjoy a Saturday morning together that's healthy for everyone.
- Find a neighborhood in your town that is known for its Christmas lights and decorations. Spend an evening walking around that neighborhood while enjoying the scenery.
- Go Christmas caroling with family and friends and enjoy the nice stroll through your neighborhood.
Create Fitness Traditions
- As previously mentioned, you can walk to view Christmas decorations and take part in a local 5K run. But you can also take advantage of the season by creating family fitness traditions such as a ski trip during your children's holiday vacation, or sledding, ice skating and snowboarding outings.
- Develop a holiday fitness challenge involving the entire family. Create an exercise reward system (with everyone's input), then make use of a whiteboard or a poster to keep track of everyone's progress. Keep everyone motivated by determining a big reward if everyone in the family hits their goals.
Get A Tree The Old Fashioned Way
- Instead of driving over to a nearby lot to purchase this year's tree (or going the artificial route) schedule a family outing to a Christmas tree farm and spend time hiking around in quest of the perfect tree.
Make It Fun
- Finding ways to fit fitness into a busy holiday schedule doesn't have to be a chore. Play favorite childhood games like tag, have a family dance party, or play kickball in the yard.
If you're looking to take your fitness to the next level, contact the Downtown Athletic Club in Amarillo. We're available seven days a week.