So how can you make your fitness center membership worth it?
- Be consistent - Setting up fitness habits goes a long way in getting the most out of your membership. If you show up for a half hour once a week, you are not going to get the benefits of the membership. Plan on coming in at least three to five days a week for an hour or more.
- Set realistic goals - Many people make the mistake of thinking they can lose 50 pounds in three to four months if they work out two hours a day, five days a week. That is unrealistic and that kind of attitude only sets them up for a quick failure. Realistic goals will keep you motivated and focused.
- Consult with a personal trainer - Setting goals is easier with the help of a professional fitness trainer. You’ll learn the ropes of the fitness facility. The trainer can check your current fitness level, your goals, and help you develop exercise routines that will help you meet your goals, realistically, and set you up for success. Ask about getting a complimentary session with a trainer, too.
- Try several exercise options - Many people get into an exercise rut. They go in and run on the treadmill for 1/2 hour. After a few weeks, they dread it. Mixing up your fitness regimen can keep it exciting and fresh.
Go to a fitness class one day and bring a friend. Try some free weights. Do some circuit training. Reward yourself and schedule a massage. Trying new things will make exercise easier in the long run.
- Take advantage of what is being offered - A good fitness center or athletic and health club will offer extras and many amenities for their members. Seminars on health, medical tests for no or low cost, and nutrition classes are a few examples of perks. A snack bar or healthy cafe, massage, steam rooms and whirlpools are also great bonuses that you won’t often find at your everyday gym.
Taking advantage of these extras will ensure that you are getting the most out of your membership and your money. They can also make your workout or exercise routine much more enjoyable and easy to stick to.
- Make your physical fitness a priority - Life gets busy. Priorities change. One night you work late and miss your cycling class. One week you’re sick and don’t have the energy to even walk on the treadmill. You go on vacation, indulge in some decadent food and drink and gain a couple of pounds. It happens!
However, don’t let this deter you. Your physical health needs to stay one of your top priorities. Stay consistent will pay off in the long run with better health, lower healthcare costs, and more energy. When you make your health a priority, your health will begin to soar.
If you have decided to get fit, a fitness center membership can be invaluable. But, as with most things in life worth having, you need to commit to the process. You need to have goals that will make you work out, but are achievable. Making fitness a priority is easier when you have a personal trainer to help and when you have several options for exercise.
When you are ready to commit to your physical fitness, give us a call here at the Downtown Athletic Club in Amarillo, Texas. We offer a full studio of exercise equipment, group fitness classes, professional personal trainers, health classes, massage and much more. With so much to offer, you can easily find something new and exciting at the Downtown Athletic Club. This will help you keep your fitness goals on track. Call us today to find out more about what the DAC has to offer or to schedule a tour.