The good news is, you can. Microworkouts have been shown to provide many health benefits, including weight loss.
What Are Microworkouts?
Microworkouts are high-intensity workouts of 10 minutes or less that can be interspersed throughout the day. They can include everything from sprints, jumping jacks, to a brisk walk. The idea behind them is that they're easier to fit in throughout the day rather than a large block of time devoted to exercising.
What Are Health Benefits of Microworkouts?
While microworkouts might not provide the overall fitness benefits of longer workouts, they clearly provide benefits that otherwise wouldn't be possible in a sedentary day. Studies have shown that several of these workouts a day not only help you burn calories, but help lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, and improve your mood.
And if you're looking for a great way to start your day, a few minutes of intense exercise in the morning will set a positive tone for the rest of the day.
What Are Examples of Microworkouts?
Fitness experts suggest doing exercises that don't require setting up equipment or going to a different location, because doing so will defeat the purpose of using your free time most efficiently. Here is a 6-minute workout circuit that will help you get a sweat going and burn calories:
- High knees - Run in place while lifting your knees above your hips.
- Bear crawls - Start on all fours with your knees off of the ground and crawl four steps forward and four steps back.
- Cross mountain climber - Bring your opposite knee to your opposite elbow while in a plank position. Quickly repeat on the other side.
- Crab Crawl - Lift your hips a few inches off of the ground while in a seated position with your hands under your shoulders. Move your limbs four steps forward and four steps back.
- High knees for 20 seconds with 10 seconds recovery.
- Bear crawls for 20 seconds with 10 seconds of recovery.
- Cross mountain climbers with 20 seconds with 10 seconds of recovery.
- Crab crawl for 20 seconds with 10 seconds of recovery.
The Downtown Athletic Club of Amarillo is an upscale, professional health club that offers fitness and overall training while focusing on overall wellness, nutrition and group fitness.