A huge misconception about stretching is which type of stretching is the best for pre and post workouts. Most people do the same stretches every ... time (if at all). When in fact, they should be very different.
PreWorkout Stretching should always be dynamic stretching. In simplest terms, stretching with movement. NOT your most common, reach down to your toes and hold!
You want to 'warm up' the muscles rather than trying to make them pliable when they're inactive.
Top Ten Dynamic Stretches
1. High knees
2. Butt kicks
3. Walking lunges
4. Lateral lunges
5. Heel drags
6. Toe touches (kicking leg up to touch hand reaching out, not bending over touching toes)
8. Power skip
9. Calf raises
10. Toy soldier
Post Workout stretches are the static stretches. Remember, Static and Still both start with an 'S'. Also, 'S' is at the END of the alphabet therefore should be at the END of your workouts.
Top Eight Leg Static Stretches
1. Sit and reach both feet together
2. V- Sit and reach. One leg at a time.
4. Quad stretch- bring foot to butt
5. Calf stretch
6. Lateral lunge and hold
7. Cross ankle over opposite knee and pull legs towards chest
8. Holding squat. Hands on heels and pushing outwards on knees.
If you're interested in personal training or learning more about stretching, please contact me at 320-5402 or go to my DAC page.