What Is Aromatherapy Massage?
Aromatherapy uses fragrant oils that are extracted from flowers, fruits and herbs to enhance the benefits of massage with natural scents. A massage typically lasts about one hour, time for the oils to enter your body through your skin and activate chemical reactions. Oils are naturally removed from your body through breathing, sweating and urination.
What Are The Benefits of Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy massage offers many benefits. Natural, essential oils combined with a full-body massage provide both physical and mental health benefits.
- Encourages Relaxation – When you're stressed, your body produces a stress hormone called cortisol. A build-up of cortisol in your body can lead to insomnia, headaches, muscle aches and digestive problems. Massage decreases levels of cortisol in your body and triggers brain responses that evoke feelings of relaxation, positive mood and stress relief.
- Reduces Stress – A certain amount of stress is normal, but prolonged stress can contribute to health problems like headaches, fatigue, high blood pressure, sleep disturbances, stomach distress, muscular pain, and even chest pain. Pent-up stress can lead to anxiety, anger and depression. Aromatherapy massage helps relieve stress naturally.
- Relaxes Muscles – Tense muscles are caused by exercise and overexertion, but poor posture while standing or sitting can also cause tense muscles. Chronic back pain, often caused by tense muscles, along with neck pain and hamstring injuries can be helped by aromatherapy massage.
- Improves Flexibility – With age, joints stiffen, reducing range of motion and flexibility. Massage therapy helps improve flexibility by loosening stiff muscles, tissues, ligaments, tendons and joints. Improved flexibility helps to prevent injuries and enhance athletic abilities in your daily life.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – High blood pressure, a silent killer with no symptoms, causes a variety of health problems, including kidney failure, heart attack and stroke. Health studies show that regular massage therapy helps to lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure and keeps high blood pressure under control.
- Reduces Pain – Massage releases serotonin, your body's natural anti-pain chemical. Chronic pain caused by immune disorders like arthritis, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia can be significantly reduced with regular aromatherapy massage. Pain reduction will improve your quality of life.