How Can I Choose The Best Vegetables?
Ideally, you want to choose vegetables that are fresh and free of pesticides. Organic produce from grocery stores can be pricey. Not only that, but much of the produce you find at a grocery store has been in transit for days or even weeks before it reaches the produce section.
Your best and most economical bet is to purchase your vegetables from local growers. Farmers markets are ideal. This guarantees you will get fresh, seasonal produce that’s often inexpensive. Aside from getting fresh, delicious and nutritious veggies, you are also buying local, a great boost for your community.
What Vegetables Are In Season During The Fall?
Depending on the climate in your local area, there are a wide variety of vegetables that are harvested in the late summer and early fall months, and some on into winter. Many vegetables grow year-round, but are at their best during the fall. Now is a great time to try out veggies that you may not normally try, and make delicious soups, salads and stews with them. Here are a few to get you going:
1. Artichokes – A great treat and in season in some areas.
2. Broccoli – Tastes best during the fall and winter months, and is so good for you!
3. Eggplant – Grows best this time of year.
4. Beets – If you haven't yet, give them a try. Great for juicing!
5. Sweet Potatoes – High in nutrition, keeps well.
6. Winter Squash – Versatile veggie all season long.
7. Celery – Also at its best this time of year.
8. Brussel Sprouts – Buy these locally, very tasty when fresh!
How Do I Stay Healthy This Winter?
In addition to a healthy diet, you should also supplement with Vitamin C and Omega-3 and 6 to keep you healthy and feeling your best. Although it may be tempting to slow down on your exercise routine during the cooler months, it is important to stick with your routine, or better yet, shake it up and try something new.
If it's time to move your workouts indoors, come check out the Downtown Athletic Club. With tons of group classes, state of the art equipment, personal trainers and certified massage therapists, you have plenty of options to keep you feeling fit, energetic and healthy all season long.